The Mission of the Humane Society of Bay County is to save, protect and enhance the lives of animals in Bay County, MI.
In just the first three months of this year, we have received 115 surrender requests through our website. Our rescue alone averages out to about nine unwanted pets per week.
Why do you ask?
Truthfully, we cannot give you an exact reason; every situation is different. Our rescue is here to help the community, but because of the rise in pet food and medical expenses, surrenders come through at an astronomical rate. There has been a 30% increase in surrender requests this year vs. last year.
The increase in surrenders does not include those who walk in to surrender or find an animal running around their neighborhood. Of course, we want to save them all, but we need your help!
How can you help?
- First, if you are a pet owner, please Spay and Neuter your pets! It is the best way to help reduce the number of homeless pets in our community.
- Adopt, Don’t Shop! There are hundreds of pets in our community that need homes.
- Be responsible! Before adopting a pet, ensure you are committed to that animal for its lifetime. Including daily food and water, training, and medical expenses for the pet, you choose to bring into your home.
- Become a Dog or Cat foster! We need committed people willing to give homeless animal food, shelter, mental stimulation, and love while they wait to be placed in their forever home! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit Apply to Foster - Humane Society of Bay County (humanesocietybaycounty.org) to apply to foster for HSBC.
- Finally, please consider donating. Your help can support us in our mission to save, protect and enhance the lives of animals in Bay County.
$250 can sponsor one dog - this includes food for one-month, preventative care (available vaccines, rabies vaccine, de-worming, heartworm testing, heartworm preventative, feal/tick prevention, microchip, and spay/neuter).
$150 can sponsor one cat - this includes food and litter for one month and presentative care (general vaccines, rabies vaccine, de-worming, FIV/FeLV testing, flea/tick preventative, and spay/neuter).
$50 can sponsor one community cat (TNR), including spay/neuter, rabies vaccine, and distemper vaccine.
As of March 31st, 2023, we have had 250 adoptions, 89 pets are currently in our programs, and 62 cats have gone through the TNR program.
Thank you to all our volunteers and supporters who have allowed us to make such an impact in just the first few months of this year!